Comprehensive history of Elite Dangerous seasons of expansions. Year, versions, names etc, its all here. You can review detailed release dates and times from history page.
v1.1: Community Goal's
Landing on planets, driving surface recon vehicle (SRV) on the planets surface terrain, collecting materials, synthesis, planetary surface settlements and ports.
v2.1: The Engineers
Everything changes. Introducing an expanded mission system and game-changing loot. Craft exotic weapons and modules for your spacecraft and build a ship unlike any other.
- brings new missions
- galaxy / system map bookmarks
- community goal icons on galaxy / system map
- srv leaves tracks on planet surface
- Huge Beam Laser
- Huge Pulse Laser
- Huge Multi-Cannon
- Large Multi-Cannon
- performance enhanced size 2 and 3 drives (smaller ships)
- galaxy map state (war/famine etc) filter
- new types of terrain surface point of interests
- major re-vamp of Unidentified Signal Sources (USSs), seek specific locations using the discovery scanner
- scanning the nav beacon which gives exploration data for the system
- pilots federation ships sensors allows USSs to be scanned while in supercruise
- enhanced AI ships
- ice mining
- starport traffic controller
(Mid October 2016) Take what comes and strike back with double. Bring a second ship to every combat encounter with Ship-Launched Fighters and defend your passengers against the deadliest threats in the galaxy.
- passanger ships beluga video
- passenger missions bulk video
- passenger missions VIP video
- route plotter, apply filter to route video
- ship launched fighters, 6 or 8 per bay, manufacture new from materials, paint jobs
- variations to starport interiors
- planets surfaces upgrade, geology
- port variant refinery video
- port variant tourism video
- david braben interview 1 video
- ship launched fighters basic video
- ship launched fighters combat video
- passenger missions tourist spot video
- taipan paint job video
- federal fighter paint job video
- empire fighter paint job video
- port variant agriculture video
- port variant tech video
- hiring an AI crew for ship launched fighters
- AI crew and crew fighter video
- david braben interview 2 video
- CQC architecture buildings
- brand new capital ship docks (not available for docking)
- system map actual rendered objects video
- starport services menu redesigned
- neutron star and white dwarf new graphics
- shipyard tranfers from starport to starport
- shipyard selling by remote
- outfitting module storage
- hyper jump destination star visible during jump
- shady contacts in (anarchy/low security?) starports to pay fines or cash in bounty vouchers
- david braben interview 3 video
- port services video
- capital ship dock video
- hyperspace video
- anaconda paint job video
- asp paint job video
- fer de lance paint job video
- python paint job video
- srv paint job video
- viper mk iii paint job video
- ship transfer video
- AI crew and switching fighter video
- david braben interview 4 video
v2.3: The Commanders
Apr 11th, 2017.
- commander creator
- multi crew
- ship naming
- dolphin ship
- camera suite (highly improved debug camera)
- asteroid base type station (including air traffic controllers)
- 32 asteroid bases in various deep space locations
- increased the credit values of exploration data for scans after this release.
2.4: The Return
Thargoids are back.
- galaxy map route plotting increased to 20,000 light years
- galaxy map route plotting is much faster
- added new player vs player murder bounties
- hull / canopy repair limpet controllers
- there is now an option to make use of neutron star boost when plotting routes
- an icon is displayed on the route to show the last scoopable star before running out of fuel
- music system is completely replaced! existing music should behave exactly as before. it is now much more maintainable and enjoyable to use
v3.0: Chapter One
- engineering - to make sure that every upgrade you craft with engineers will be an improvement on what you currently have
- crime and punishment - teeth to system authority ships response to better support meaningful consequence for criminal activities
- trade - improve trade data information to let you make more informed decisions when trying to buy low and sell high
- materials trader - providing players the ability to hand in materials in exchange for others at set exchange rates based on grade and material type.
- wings - challenging wing missions you will be able to take on with your friends
- planetary tech improvements - overhaul of the surface material system for the rocky, high metal content and metal rich planets.
- continuing narrative - from update 1 in the beyond series you'll see all of the current story threads continue to develop.
- galnet audio - a new way to enjoy the narrative threads of elite dangerous. galnet audio will read the news to you as you explore the galaxy in your ship
- new ship: Krait https://i.imgur.com/pLy61fV.jpg (didnt make it to the v3.0 release)
- new ship: Chieftain https://i.imgur.com/BjeFNI2.jpg
v3.1: Chapter Two
- new ship: challenger. a modified version of the alliance chieftain, the alliance challenger has been envisaged as a frontline combat vessel.
- new ship: krait mk ii. the krait mkii is a reimagining of the krait lightspeeder, which was originally manufactured by faulcon delacy in the 3100s.
- wing mining mission.
- installation interactions. in a similar fashion to the megaship interactions, which were introduced in chapter one, commanders will now be able to scan and interact with space installations.
- tech broker. there are now large variants of weapons available at guardian tech brokers and human tech brokers.
- new thargoid scouts.
v3.2: Chapter Three
- new weapons
- new ship Crusader. Latest member of the Alliance ship group. A medium sized ship based on the Alliance Chieftain, with the additional space to carry a fighter bay.
- new Guardian sites added
- engineers in colonia
- galaxy map, renamed some systems that had duplicated names
v3.?: Quarter 2
- squadrons - players like working together. you'll be able to create your own squadron with tools to manage its hierarchy and membership. squadrons will be able to purchase a fleet carrier, giving members a mobile base of operations where they can restock, refuel and respawn.
- mining - we want to make the processes of mining more involving and satisfying. it needs to be more than just lasering an asteroid. we want to expand the ways in which you detect and extract resources, give you a tool set, variety and choice in how you mine. importantly, we want invoke the feeling of wild west prospecting: jeopardy from crises and challenges out in the void, and the potential for striking it big finding the mother lode in special asteroids. our goal is to make mining a fully-fledged career, something that you can progress and work on.
- planetary tech improvements - leading up to the q4 update we'll be making improvements to our lighting model, our scatter rock system, improving ambient effects, planetary phenomena, volumetric effects and vapour. these techniques will combine to create richer environments to explore in our q4 update. these are important steps in our ongoing planetary development.
- exploration - we're going to significantly improve and build on exploration. the exploring flow will be more involved, more efficient and more satisfying. these new mechanics will also improve the experience for anyone searching for something, be that a mission or a particular resource. to support exploration we're adding the codex, an archive that logs your exploration achievements and acts as a repository for game lore. there will also be new phenomena, anomalies and other exciting things to discover.